Monday, November 26, 2012

Throw Caution to the Wind?

After 4 days of fun in the sun, time with family and a whirlwind of dizzying rides, we're back! It's the first time our family has taken a trip to Disneyland/California Adventure all together. Sadly, our oldest and her new hubby had other plans, but my sister and her family traveled out to meet us, along with my parents. In addition to simply having fun, I loved watching the group dynamics (but that's a whole 'nother post.) Suffice it to say, we had a great time!

 Our youngest wasn't crazy about riding the coasters and my sister had to heed the "expectant mother" warnings. But the rest of us let 'er rip! Until it got to Space Mountain.... For some reason, I can't stomach that one. Maybe it's because the coaster is in the dark and I can't see where I'm going. As long as I know where I'm headed, I'm ok. I can tolerate the ups and downs, twists and turns because I can see the destination.

Much like life....

Then at California Adventure I was all set to go on California Screamin' but while we were in line they announced that the ride had broken down and it might be a while for repairs. Chicken-butt me got out of line. It didn't matter that it could be up in just a few minutes, because what if it broke down again while I was on the top/upside-down part of the loopty-loop?!?!

Yes, I know that all the rides break down at some point. Logic tells me that it'll be fine. Perfectly safe. But squeamish-me says, "Uh-uh. Not going there."

 How about you--do you take chances and ride scary rides or do you prefer to play it safe? Throw caution to the wind or keep your feet on the ground?

 It seems to me, an attitude toward coasters just might say something about one's attitude toward life ;)

4 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

I am so not a coaster fan, though I tend to launch out in other situations. And yet, my daughter, who is caution personified, LOVES roller coasters. :) Weird, huh?

Georgiana Daniels said...

LOL, there goes my Coaster/Life Theory! Or maybe you guys are the exception to the rule ;)

CJ Kennedy said...

When I was young, I rode roller coasters with abandon. Space Mountain, The Matterhorn, The Runaway Train twice at night. A corkscrew rollercoaster at Knotts Berry Farm (new at the time!) Now that I'm old, I'm very cautious. Especially after riding the wooden rollercoaster at Hershey with The Young One when she was 6. We both nearly spilled out of the car on one of the turns. That was it for both of us.

Georgiana Daniels said...

Good heavens, CJ! That would have done me in too. I've never ridden a wooden coaster, but those seem infinitely more scary to me, but to almost fall out? Wow.

Add to Technorati Favorites