Friday, November 16, 2012

The Top 5 Things.....

.....that derail my plans!

To continue my post from Wednesday--you know, the one where I'm a NANO bust--I'm going to give you the top 5 things that stream roll even my best plans:

5. Kidlets underfoot. To be fair, they are a great distraction so this not a complain but an observation. Remember, an observation....

4. Brain candy. Yep--TV. After frying my brain all day long, I need to rejuvenate with mindless interaction and laugh tracks.

3. Real candy. Or any carbs really. Snacking shouldn't be a distraction but somehow it turns into one. Generally, I can't write without eating something and sometimes I forget to stick my "seat" back in the seat.

2. Facebook! For a long time I tried to fool myself by saying checking status updates was simply part of my writing process. Really, why fight it? But now that we're getting honest....

And my #1 distraction?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
You'll never guess what it is....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
1. DOUBT. Not what you expected, was it? Recently I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the how and why of it, then more time figuring out how to combat the Doubt Monster. (I wrote about that yesterday on Writer...Interrupted if you want to see my conclusions!)

What derails you and what do you do about it???

6 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

All of the above. And a white sheet of paper. Making that first mark is scary

Georgiana Daniels said...

Sounds like a blank sheet is scary for artist and writer alike!

Erica Vetsch said...

Writer's Doubt. Ugh. Been there. Have that.

And the FB/Brain Candy/Real candy distractions. :D

Georgiana Daniels said...

Looks like we're rowing the same boat!

Anita said...

What is that saying - we are our own worst enemies?

Sometimes I feel selfish for wanting more time alone; time to read and write, and even to de-clutter on occasion. I don't want to take anybody anywhere, don't want to cook, shop, answer the phone, etc.

But, I have to, so I do. And I tell myself that it's okay to feel that way, because it is.

Enjoy the process; even when you're behind.

Georgiana Daniels said...

Anita, I'm well acquainted with feeling "selfish" for wanting alone time. I do think for some of us it's really important to have that time to recharge.

Add to Technorati Favorites