Monday, October 01, 2012

Oh, No--Not Again!


Disappointment. Sadness. A crushing blow to the ego.

Yep--I suffered one of those last week. I'll bet you've dealt with your fair share over the years. Everyone does. But this time was different because I didn't implode or have the usual chocolate-fest meltdown.

For many years I went through a dry spell that appeared an awful lot like unanswered prayers and being forgotten on the backside of the mountain. Before I got a few big breakthroughs, I had to learn how to cope:

1. Have a game plan. If you've got solid, measurable goals then you can jump back in and keep moving forward. Momentum matters.

2. Make sure to have more than one interest. When one area of life isn't going as you've planned, it helps to have other successes and activities to look forward to. If you have a full life and schedule then things are moving too quickly to have a long mope session.

3. Look for the bits of joy. They're there! God never banishes us to a total desert wasteland experience. Learning to savor each moment and appreciate what's right there is huge. For example, despite my disappointment last week, here are three things that happened:


 My baby girl turned 7!!!! This is a picture from last year that I simply love and makes me happy every time I see it.


Hubby and I celebrated our 11th anniversary! He definitely keeps things interesting and fun. You never know what's going to happen next ;)




Got my book cover for my January 2013 release! I just love the tranquil feeling the cover evokes.












There were enough joyful bits of life last week to propel me past the disappointment and get me back on track.

How do you handle life's sour grapes?

1 comment:

Erica Vetsch said...

I tend to go one of two ways when my expectations aren't being fulfilled...chocolate/tv/sleep or roll up my sleeves and buckle down to something.

It's always a toss-up which way it will go. :)

Happy Anniversary, and YAY on the book cover!!

Add to Technorati Favorites