Monday, October 08, 2012

Me Time--What's That?


I sit here penning this....in the bathroom. You see, it's the only way I can be alone.

As a homeschooling mom of little ones, I've come to the startling realization that I am never alone. Repeat: Never alone. (That's not a complaint, merely an observation. I also realize and appreciate that staying home without the pressure to toss the kids into school and get back to "work" is a luxury!)

Oh, I suppose there are a few blissful hours after the kids go to bed where I can get a few items checked off the ol' master list. But there's a huge difference between working on to-do items until your brain is ready to fall out and doing something just for the fun of it.

This is where the inspiration of my hubby comes in. Though he has time in the morning to go on a hike for exercise, the rest of the day he's devoted to working--working 12-14 hours a day so that I CAN stay home. (On the other hand, much of his time is spent alone in the truck, lol!)

Therefore I fantasize: what WOULD I do if I had regular time alone? Here's my list:

Exercise
Crochet (or something crafty)
Hit the bookstore!!!

Thankfully I understand this is just a season and there's many a mom going through the same thing. I try to savor the flavor of each day for what it's worth, knowing that my kidlets won't always be underfoot and I will have time to do other things. And that's just it....those things are THINGS. I take refuge in the fact I'm helping build little people :)

One day I'll do something easier. Like get a full-time job. LOL!!!

How about you? Do you get regular me time or do you have kids underfoot?

4 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

Since my kiddos are older, now I'm craving time WITH them! LOL

I get as much alone time as I would like, I guess. My youngest is 16, so I can go whenever I want.

But I'm realizing how short our time together is now. In less than two years, he'll be in college, and I'll be an empty nester. :(

Georgiana Daniels said...

It's so hard to think of you as an empty nester!!! It really does go by quickly.

CJ Kennedy said...

Even though my girlies are all grown up, and I have lots of me time during the day, seems I'm always doing something else: sporadic cleaning, paperwork to take care of elders in nursing home. I schedule me time. Usually an outing, tea, or lunch with a friend.

Georgiana Daniels said...

You know, there's always more to do! My retired parents have made me well aware of that.

Lunch with friends sounds like a lot of fun!

Add to Technorati Favorites