Wednesday, October 24, 2012

I Know I'm a Meanie.....

First they were doing it at the grocery store and now they're doing it at the fast food joints. While it tugs on my heart and I can appreciate the sentiment behind it, their actions make me think twice before shopping there.

And I must admit it makes me feel like a big ol' meanie!

What is it, you ask?

Asking me to donate to XYZ cause.

It's totally fine when the debit card machine asks me privately and I can respond by clicking the YES or NO button discreetly. But when the cashiers ask--or in the case of the grocery store ANNOUNCE DONATIONS OVER THE LOUD SPEAKER with an accompanying "WOOHOO"--it makes me...uncomfortable.

What if I didn't bring extra cash? What if I'm broke? What if I don't like the attention drawn to me when the cashier announces the amount for the world to hear?

It bothers me that it bothers me, probably because I can't pinpoint why. It might be that I'm a private person or simply that I don't like being put on the spot. Or maybe I prefer knowing something about the organizations I donate to instead of giving to causes I'm unfamiliar with.

In these troubled economic times, it makes sense to be bolder and more assertive for fund raising, but personally I'd love to go back to the jar on the counter method.

What say you?

7 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Maybe it's an over 50 thing, but I don't let it bother me.

CJ Kennedy said...

And I don't think you are a meanie. No one knows the circumstances of your pocketbook or the causes that are near and dear to your heart better than you.

Erica Vetsch said...

My standard answer has become "Not at this time."

I don't like being coerced to give something on the spot. I like to consider where my charitable donations go and when.

After the Susan G. Koeman debacle, I like to know exactly what my donation will be used for, too. I don't like donating to find a cure for breast cancer and finding out they were funneling cash to Planned Parenthood for mammograms that weren't even being done.

Georgiana Daniels said...

Thanks, CJ! I really should learn to stop caring what others think.

Erica, I totally agree. And I like your response. I'm using it!

Gina Conroy said...

It bothers me that it bothers me also, but it bothers me more that they ask! Put up a sign, if I want to donate I will! I give enough to other charities. And this brings up another issues. Those pan handling homeless on the street. Do you look at them, give or ignore. I do all of the above as I feel led, but I felt guilty the other day when a mom was holding up a sign and her two kids were playing beside her. Makes me want to know her story and why she's not taking advantage of the MANY charities in our town.

Georgiana Daniels said...

I feel the same way as you do, Gina, about pan handlers. Usually we try to give as we're led, but more often than not it's actual food. Unfortunately, I think the rate of homelessness in our town has outpaced the charities, especially during the summer.

Anita said...

I was in the grocery store and would occasionally here a checkout person holler, "Touchdown," and mention a football team. Not that I wanted to participate, but I thought I'd better have a team ready when I went through. I thought I'd be different and say my daughter's high school team.

Well, I get to the line and checkout lady does not ask me for my fav team after I'd psyched myself up to join the fun.

Somehow, I figured out that it was for donating a dollar or whatever. I guess she was too tired of screaming to ask me to donate when I came through. LOL

Anyway, I agree with you. I'm not fond of getting the question because it makes you appear cheap when you don't give a "mere" dollar. If only they knew how many dollars you get asked for over time.

So,I just say, "No thank you," which really doesn't make sense; and it's over. I've gotten good at it. :)

I wish I could tell everyone who asks for money that I am generous and that I give elsewhere, but it wouldn't matter; people will always think what they want to think.

By the way, exactly a year ago today, I wrote a post on Panhandling. The comments were VERY interesting; actually made me re-think my way of handling the situation when I am approached.

The End. lol

Add to Technorati Favorites