Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Mojo Myth

Even though the busyness this summer was good busyness, it still produced much chaos, missed schedules and a recurring sense of "What was I doing? Oh, yeah..." Time spent on projects diminished, if said projects were remembered at all.

After a while, I'd lost interest, not in one area but in many. Most, in fact. When it came time to start school with the kids, I didn't have the usual excitement at assembling the lesson plans and buying books. When it came to writing, the well wasn't just dry--I couldn't find the bucket. Surely, I thought, it was due to the fact moving and wedding planning and driving the kidlets to 234,732,984 summer camps had taken its toll and soon I'd be back to normal.

But I'd lost my mojo.

I tried the usual tricks that one does to inject freshness into their routine and jump start the creativity: read the right books, connect with others of the same interests, try new creative outlets. Nothing really worked--and I can't say for certain I put in 100% trying because it just. wasn't. happening.

Then I went to the ACFW Conference, and while it was fulfilling, even that didn't produce the usual burst of I-have-to-get-back-and-implement-xyz-right-away. (The amazing takeaway value of the conference, for me, was relationships.)

The realization has set in that it's not about mojo. Yes, it's great when our enthusiasm for a task aligns with timing and results to propel us into further action, and thus creating a cycle that feeds off itself. But I can't rely on that to move forward. Sometimes we're blessed with a season where our projects and passions are in perfect unity, but more often than not we (or at least I) am in a season of plowing.

What am I going to do? Exactly what I KNOW in my heart I'm supposed to. I'm determined to be content doing the next thing next. Which means it's time to print the math sheets, fold the laundry and get in some word count.

Are you in a plowing season or are you reaping?

7 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

For me, conference was all about the relationships, too. Especially with YOU!

We'll make our own plowing mojo. For me it's grocery shopping today, school, and working on my new plot. :)

Georgiana Daniels said...

Plowing mojo--love it! Getting into the swing of plowing....

Danica/Dream said...

Definitely plowing mojo season here. I think as writers, wives, moms, etc. we have to do a lot of things that mean just putting one foot in front of the other. But it helps having the friendships and knowing that there's someone else out there who is dealing with the same stuff.

Georgiana Daniels said...

It really does help! Part of it probably is the fact we wear many hats, as you pointed out, and it's hard to go all-out for everything at any one time.

CJ Kennedy said...

With settling my parents' estate coming to a close, it's time to let my field go fallow and just breathe.

Gina Conroy said...

I'm in plowing season, looking forward to the harvest, but someone I think that before I can fully enjoy the bounty, it will be plowing season again! Isn't that life! But good think I've learned to dance in the fields...every Thursday and Saturday night! You should try it! It's a lot more fun that watching the crops grow!

Georgiana Daniels said...

I haven't personally experienced settling an estate, CJ, but I've heard it's exhausting and emotionally taxing. Best wishes on your season of rest!

Gina, you have a whole field of plowing partners! But see, I plow in the field instead of dancing HAHAHA. Great analogy! Your point is good though--it's important to have some kind of respite in the middle of the season.

Add to Technorati Favorites