Friday, September 07, 2012

Permission to Pamper???

A few weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to get a full set of nails before our daughter's wedding. After all, people would surely notice such a detail (cough, cough).

What luxury!

To be honest, it felt a wee bit self-indulgent, but that didn't prevent me from spending $30 to get them filled this week when they were starting to look scruffy. You know, the ACFW conference is around the corner and I want to look polished and professional--never mind that I'm a stay-home/homeschooling mom who does dishes by hand (hello rubber gloves.)

That got me to thinking, why shouldn't stay-home moms get a little pampering every now and then? Moms--whether we work at home or outside the home--spend the majority of our lives devoted to other people, making sure everyone around us feels treasured. Surely there's nothing wrong with indulgence every once in a while, which includes spending actual money, to make ourselves feel a little extra special. Right?

Then I did the math. At $30 every 3 weeks (and believe me, that's stretching it to the bitter and ugly chipped end) that amounts to about $520 a year. FIVE-HUNDRED AND TWENTY DOLLARS A YEAR, for hands that spend a good deal of time sweating under yellow rubber gloves!

So yes to a little pampering, but I have the sinking feeling I have to find a new indulgence.

What's your indulgence? Do you ever experience the guilt like me?



5 comments:

Erica Vetsch said...

My indulgence...only one? LOL

Probably writing at a coffee shop instead of writing at home.

Your nails look great! At least keep them until the conference. :D

CJ Kennedy said...

You have to develop The Little Princess attitude. Of course, I indulge (lunch out, DVDs, books, shoes, art supplies...) I'm worth it.
(-;

Georgiana said...

Oh, I am definitely keeping them until conference, Erica!

CJ--I LOVE the way you think!!!

Tim Poole said...

I can see why you are a writer.

Georgiana Daniels said...

HAHA! Thanks Uncle Time!

Add to Technorati Favorites