Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fat Cells and More

Quick--I need to lose 15 more pounds!!!

Why, you ask? Because soon I will be seeing someone who, the last time we were together, referenced my weight multiple times. Never mind that I'd just had two babies in a row, in my 30's. Back then I was about 20 pounds heavier than I am now, but the crushing weight of worry is causing me to....

......want to snack.

Obviously worrying isn't helping, and the low-carb crash diet I implemented this week isn't doing much either.

This leads me to wonder why on earth I care what this person thinks? Really. We aren't close friends and I don't see them often. I also know they discuss other people's weight behind their backs, so it's not as if I'm in a lonely group.

And yet....

I care. Beyond health concerns (which I don't appear to have at the moment), why do I care what this particular person thinks of the way I look? Am I so fragile that I can't take their barbs? Beyond my husband's opinion, none should matter, and my hot hubby loves me just the way I am. Actually, the way he feeds me he probably wouldn't mind if I gained another pound or ten. Is it vanity? I don't consider myself exceedingly vain--haha, but what vain person does? ((snicker))

How about you? When did you stop caring what other people think? Or do you, like me, have that one person that still gets to you?

Now that I've obsessed about it online for the world to see, I'm signing off. The salted cashews in the cupboard have my name all over them.

5 comments:

Georgiana Daniels said...

For those wondering--no, it's not someone at conference. Thankfully!

Elephant Family said...

Yes of course, if I know someone is critical that is when I try to "shape up". Your rhetorical questions may help with that.

Georgiana Daniels said...

It's the pits when you're trying and someone makes negative comments! It really does spur me on, too, but it's hard to have grace for the person who's critical.

CJ Kennedy said...

Those that matter, don't mind.
Those that mind, don't matter.
Dr. Seuss

Georgiana Daniels said...

Here, here! Lots of wisdom to be found in Suess. Truly, I need to let things roll off.

Add to Technorati Favorites