Monday, September 17, 2012

A TRUE CHAMPION

The first gymnastics competition was Saturday and rather than just enjoying the meet or cheering (rather loudly) for my daughter, I actually learned something.

My daughter did well--1st on floor, 2nd on bars, 4th all around. But floor, bars and all around wasn't what impressed me. Anyone can be cheerful and poised when they're doing well. What impressed me was my baby's beam routine:




If you watched to the end, you saw her fall....twice.

But here's what brought joy to my heart--she finished. She didn't get rattled, lose her composure or stop trying. Instead she climbed back up and did the rest of the moves with precision and grace.

Later, I asked what she thought and she said, "I figured I wasn't getting any medals this time."

"Really? How did you feel about that?"

"I was happy either way."

One flawed performance didn't shake her confidence. She knows who she is and what she's capable of. She knew she'd trained, prepared and done her very best, and that the results were ultimately out of her hands. She was joyful because she was doing what she loves.

Wow.

When I grow up, I want to be just like Chloe.

3 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

:-)

Erica Vetsch said...

Me too! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow, I'm so impressed because she'd look good and steady even after falling. Way to go, Chloe!!!

Add to Technorati Favorites